Saturday 6 April 2013

A thrush sort of a day

I had a thrush sort of a day yesterday.

I glimpsed, or at least I thought did, a Siskin (not a thrush I know) on the feeders in the garden. I grabbed my camera and settled down in the car on the drive to see if I could get a shot of it. All I got in half an hour was a Blackbird, so I decided now that I had my camera out that I'd have a look at Sizergh, see what was about in the car park.

Blackbird Blackbird in the garden

In the event I never made it to Sizergh as I bumped into Fred Gould on route, scanning a field which as it turned out was full of thrushes. I stopped for a bit of a catch up with Fred and the thrushes seemed quite unfussed about our presence, if anything coming closer as we chatted, so I grabbed my camera and settled down for some photography with the Thrushes. They were mostly Fieldfare with a couple of Redwing and the occasional Mistle Thrush thrown in. I really noticed how variably marked the Fieldfare were, with some well coloured and marked individuals, presumably coming into breeding plumage, while others were quite pale and less marked in what I took to be first winter plumage.

Fieldfare Fieldfare Fieldfare Fieldfare Fieldfare showing the variation in plumage

Redwing Mistle Thrush
Redwing and Mistle Thrush remained a little more distant.

Click on the images or here for more and larger photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment